Tuesday 29 November 2011

Christmas Vodka




I don't drink that much.  Just on special occasions like weddings, birthdays, after successful minor surgical procedures and of course, Christmas. Until recently, I hadn't found a festive alcoholic drink that I truly loved. So imagine my excitement when, after months of research in the name of blogging, I have come up with a drink that is truly magical concoction that everyone (over the age of 18 of course) will love too. It is something to warm up these bitterly cold winter nights.

Once a day for a week now, I have been stirring a few secret ingredients around in a pot and watching them all develop into something ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS. Without doubt, this is the best drink to share with friends this Christmas. The trials have been completed, I have people all over Kildare banging on the door for the recipe.  Finally, I am ready to share the secret recipe with the world.

It is vodka based and therefore very strong. It goes without saying that you won't need much. It is best served in very small amounts. Despite one person in the trial suggesting that we call it 'Annie's Secret Potion', I am calling it, 'The Spirit of Christmas'. You'll understand why when you see the ingredients. It takes 5 minutes to make. Decanted into little bottles, is the ideal gift to bring to friends and neighbours this year. It's flavour?  Christmas in a shot glass.



The Spirit of Christmas

Ingredients

250gms Muscavado sugar

half a teaspoon nutmeg

5 cloves

half a teaspoon of Vanilla extract or essence

3 drops Almond essence

half a teaspoon cinnamen

160gms Raisins

260gms Sultanas

the zest of 1 orange

1 tsp Mixed Spice

1 bottle of Vodka 



You will also need: 

a wooden spoon

a glass jar with a screw top lid



Method

1. Place all of the ingredients into a jar, twist on the lid and give it a good sir around. Put somewhere cool to sit (away from children and small animals)
2. Each day, give the jar a good shake, making sure that everything is mixing together nicely.
3. After a week, strain through a sieve into a bowl. 
4. Pour into bottles big and small and share with your friends and neighbours. 






And finally.....

You'll be left with a bowl filled with vodka infused fruits. I put mine into a cake, though I will not be leaving a slice out for Santa this year. If I did, he wouldn't be able to make it back up the chimney. Hic. 




























1 comment:

  1. Hi Annie,
    I am a blogger and freelance writer working on a light-hearted piece about domesticity for an Irish newspaper and I'd love to include a comment on the subject from another Irish blogger - could you drop me a line to heidi@giftofthegab.net if you're interested?
    Many thanks.
    Best,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete